Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Posting from a hotel on the road.....

Speaking of music. The Grateful Dead had a HUGE impact on my life. So much so, that I think (other than family) -- it was the single largest NON GENETIC alteration that happened to my being.

And, it was for the better of course.

But, sometimes we tend as time and space get between the things we love, and loved in the past, we lose touch, not all the way - so the chain isnt severed, it just isnt AS ATTACHED.

It reminds me of the story of the "tree" - in the kid's story "The Giving Tree" -- the tree takes care of the boy as a child, provides comfort all the years of the kids life.

I wont bore you with details - but the kid get older and visits the tree less.

This is what has happened with my interaction with the Grateful Dead.

But, when I go back to the TREE, or Grateful Dead -- let me tell you, it hits me like a ton of bricks, knocks me off my feet -- and I feel like I'm home.

This is what hit me today -- and this fine vintage, 1974, is some of the best.

05/19/74 (Sun) Portland Memorial Coliseum - Portland, OR
Set 1: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Mexicali Blues, Big Railroad Blues, Black Throated Wind, Scarlet Begonias, Beat It On Down The Line, Tennessee Jed, Me And Bobby McGee, Sugaree, Jack Straw, It Must Have Been The Roses, El Paso, Loose Lucy, Money Money, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You RiderSet 2: Promised Land, Bertha > Greatest Story Ever Told, Ship of Fools, Weather Report Suite Prelude > Weather Report Suite Part 1 > Let It Grow > Wharf Rat, Big River, Peggy-O, Truckin' > Heaven Help The Fool Jam > Not Fade Away > Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad > One More Saturday Night, E: U.S. Blues

Damn, fine show -- and Jerry Im back gearing up and getting ready for Spring.

Getting togther the mail order, planning on hitting the road, and psyched to watch you step back and rip.

Damn, Jerry I miss you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric Kronthal said...

i always thought the giving tree represented man's lack of consideration for the environment and his general desire to be lazy. the dude basically cuts this tree down b/c he's too damn lazy to get a job and buy a house. he knocks it down to a stump which will likely rot and never regrow. how pathetic is that?

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer "Good Night Moon." Slowly, but surely, Jerry just went to sleep. That's what the Horse will do to ya . . .

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home