Sunday, January 29, 2006

Media consumption -- and changes.

Recently, I wrote about Howard Stern, and how - since he went to satelitte radio, my listening habits changed quickly. The piece is here.........

I noticed last night in our household another significant change, in regards to TV.

My wife and are NOT rabid TV watchers. I would not say WE RUSH HOME, or schedule anything around any TV event. However, with TIVO - this has changed. (we actually make time to watch the things WE LOVE)

My favorite show is called "The Office" - however *(british version linked) - this show kills me.

I can watch the five episodes I missed, in one night - and enjoy every single one, and still yearn for more after a 2.5 hour digestion of the show.

The show is a riot, I highly recommend it.

However, 2 main "consumption points to make" in regards to how it affects my household behavior -- the ability to TIVO..

** I'm not watching Saturday night programming.
** Not watching ANY commericals (you can avoid those altogether, when you TIVO)

So, in a span of a few months, (between satellite radio and DVR/TIVO) our household's interaction with media had really changed.

Can you imagine, as we can pick our content from EVERY MEDIUM - EVERYWHERE, suddenly, the ability to target (from a advertiser perspective) changes radically as well..

In our area, we have a "Mr. Fix it Guy" -- (I'm sorry to admit I am seriously deficient, when it comes to repairing anything around the house, he comes and fixes leaks, paints, and even helps hang new chandeliers) -- but, that same kind of guy could be the ........

"Mr. Media Consumption Changer Guy"

What does that mean?

A professional guy to come in and set up all your new gadgets for a fee, and teach you how to use.

For instance (to name just 3)

* IPOD
* Satellite Radio
* TIVO

Many people (sometimes me) are intimidated about setting up new technology, and this job could be for a retired, "gadget guy" - who gets it, can teach, and enjoys helping others.

I'm telling you, I am in Advertising, and if I saw one of those type "sheets" hanging in my local grocery store - I might have not only given it a second look, but called and had him do it all to help me.

Just like media convenience, we are looking for "gadget ease" -- and this is a crucial void for folks that are "late adopters..." (and there are many)

Change of Behaviors and Needs -- I think is another recipe for that million dollar idea...and now it's your's free for reading this blog.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rob Deichert Jr said...

Andy - Welcome to the wonderful world of Tivo. I'm a veteran with 5+ years of ownership of a series 1 unit.

What kills me the most is the poor marketing of this product in the early years (I still have a bunch of ideas for them, unfortunately they won't listen). Everyone who stopped by and actually saw it in action at my home was instantly addicted. I give it as my standard wedding gift because I know it's something that will be almost as life altering as getting married.

I hope Tivo can make it with the competition from the cable companies dvrs.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should really check out the Betamax. It's new, it's hot and it will change the way you watch Family Ties.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

An infrared camera is the most effective way to find the leaks in your house even in most enclosed places. For more than 30 years of service, the company was able to seamlessly develop the most quick and definite way of controlling and preventing leaks at home. They have trained their experts to effectively do the job without frustrating the customer. Their well-planned strategies are definitely effective, especially when the customer is sharing good ideas which they are open to. The non-toxic formula they use is definitely helpful to keep your household safe from the harmful effects of the chemicals. These safe chemicals efficiently remove the molds and stinky smell that is caused by the leaks. It is also the most adaptable material that keeps leaks sealed for years. Fix Home Leaks Los Angeles will surely make a leak free home.

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home