Monday, April 10, 2006

Creating your Destiny, and Owning it.....

When is enough, enough?

When is a bad working situation, YOUR FAULT?

Not your Boss.
Not your companies products, or vision.
Not your co-workers.

When is it your fault?



When do YOU take responsibility for feeling down, about going to a job everyday?

NOW.

We all have bad days, weeks, months, and sometimes unfortunately, years.

But, let me tell you -- we are in a economy in the United States -- that is BOOMING.

Unemployment is a record low levels. (4.5%?) This is unreal.

Fred Wilson, over at his blog has a GREAT POST About finding jobs in startup's.


CLICK HERE FOR FRED's PIECE on Startups's.


It's surprising that so many are frustrated in their roles. A piece I read recently said close to 70% of workers, wished they could find another job, outside of their field of expertise.

I spoke to someone at a company today, who was ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE.

I mean, thoroughly depressed, and demoralized..I could hear it in their voice....it was something I did not expect from this formely, "peppy" person.

This person has been making good money, but, was FEELING DOWN, about who they were working with/for, the culture, as well as the vision of the company....and much more.

They had the Blues. (it's certainly OK to have the corporate blues, but not for long periods of time)

The "blues" in this case -- have been going on for SIX MONTHS.

I asked, "when it is YOUR FAULT, and NO ONE ELSES Problem?"

"What day will you be able to look in the mirror, and realize that IT IS YOU, that has the issues, problems -- and it has little to do at this point, with the company?"

Of course, the company may be wrong, pigheaded, and stubborn.

It does not matter.

The company sleeps VERY WELL, especially if they are hitting their goals.


I have the honor of working with many companies, and get to see many different styles of management, culture, and vision.

Here is the ONE CONSISTENT, amongst the companies I come in contact with.

THEY ARE ALL IN THE MARKET TO HIRE GOOD PEOPLE, AND GROW, ACROSS THEIR ENTIRE ORGANIZATION. A COMMON THREAD AMONGST MY CLIENTS IS THAT THEY CANNOT HIRE FAST ENOUGH TO SCALE THEIR BUSINESSES.

Recently, I met a young lady who was working at a department store in a mall.

Recently, I met a young man, he worked at our local car wash. He told me his wife was hungry and willing to find another job, outside of "retail banking." (she was a teller)

Both landed jobs at companies, BECAUSE THEY LOOKED, and were hungry to find a position in a startup.

We are living in extraordinary times, (as far as a economic cycle goes) -- and I have to say....

"If you are NOT happy in your job consistently, then it is YOUR FAULT."

Start today, "you just gotta poke around..."

1 Comments:

Blogger Doodles said...

In 2002 the company that I work for experienced a salary decrease of 3%. My title (only found in the non-profit world) is HR and Financial Coordinator. I was behind the scenes calculating the decrease as well as dealing with unhappy employees. The fact was at that point many companies were dealing with a decrease in revenue and many employees could not find work elsewhere. We developed a Workplace Enhancement Committee, which I became chairperson for. The committee was responsible for responding to suggestions and putting into action, plans to make employees happy. Overall what happened was the companies morale was lifted, the vibe became positive and the negative people moved on. The company has since given back the 3% decrease and consistently gives raises every year. I myself consistently every few months research other jobs and even go on interviews. Not because I am unhappy in my position but because I want to make sure that I am not missing out on a better opportunity. I was offered a position last November for another non profit company making more money. I was not thrilled about taking the position; it meant longer hours, starting from scratch with time off, and everything else that comes with a new position. Having two children it was very important to me to have a flexible position, and to have financial security should anyone become sick, etc. I actually put in a resignation letter at that time, but was pulled behind closed doors to be offered a better salary to stay. Sometimes it isn’t about money, but what you are happy doing. If you follow what you are happy doing, usually the money will follow.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home