Monday, August 14, 2006

Cream at Madison Square Garden.....A Once in a Lifetime..


The opener was "I'm So Glad...." I was.

This was my 1st time seeing them live, for obvious reasons. The first night was so damn good, I went back the next night.

I've put the song opener of the concert up below, as well as my review, that I wrote the Day after the show - (to a music list I'm on)... you can click on arrow to start the tune, you will be SUPER GLAD you did.....(see my review below the vid)
Enjoy! - this is the RAH opener, but it will do.



My review of the show begins below:
***************************************************8


Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:27:21 -0400
Reply-To: Andy Monfried <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Kimock <[log in to unmask]>
From: Andy Monfried <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Cream Review MSG
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

I really am speechless and don't know where to start this note.



Last night I saw Cream, and I was completely utterly, blown off my axis.
Only 2 musicians have moved my being more than 90 degrees the first time
I saw them. The two musicians are Jerry Garcia, and Steve Kimock.



At the risk of sounding blasphemous --- I MUST add Cream to this list
of "moving my being."



I was stunned last night at the crispness of the sound. And, if I can
paint a picture for those reading this on email....I'd like to for a
second....sit back, and imagine - your favorite guitar player taking a
step back, and letting the music come to him. The reason I love Steve
and Jerry G is because they allow the music to flow into them...and it
transcends the basic fabric of music into a all consuming soul touching
entity, that feeds us, and keeps us coming back for more......a
insatiable desire to have our being and our energy touched in a magical
way.



I was touched last night. Let me start out by saying that Eric Clapton
in this environment with these fellas is by the far the best Eric you
will EVER hear. Why you ask? First, he gets to jam on EVERY tune, I
mean step back, and go into these nice long improve jams that we all
love. This was amazing, and better than any other setting I have seen
him in --- either with his band - or other "bluesy configurations."
Pure E Bliss.



Jack Bruce - holy crap - the guy can play bass -he is crisp clean and he
is fun to watch. He reminds me of a Bob Dylan with a Bass.



Ginger Baker: This for me was the complete stunner. He is 66 years
old, and let me tell you - the guy can outplay anyone anywhere ----- I
danced like a banshee for 8 minutes during his drum solo. His drum Solo
was better than anything I have ever heard Mickey and Bill do in all my
years.......I can't explain it - maybe because he appreciates these gigs
the most?



Couple of learning"s from this:



* When Cream played in 67-68 live - they had the AMPS laid out
across the stage, stacks and rows of AMPS and with the volume this
caused a lot of distortion, and feedback, and it was not as crisp...so
the live tapes from that period are muddy and loud. It was not until
1970 (and Cream had already broken up) that the Rolling Stones
revolutionized the concert sound by HANGING the amps. Last night
performance with hanging amplifiers - made Eric Clapton sound BETTER
THAN ANYONE IN THE GARDEN SINCE JERRY GARCIA -every note was crisp,
clean and not distorted in any way.
* These 3 guys just plain appreciate this more than other
bands.....by not playing together for 35 years, and NOT being on tour -
they can relish and bake in glory...there is no gruel, and
planning.....or bus and airplane rides. Bottom line, I think they truly
played last night as though they were thanking the audience - and
enjoying each other's company.
* This was the best 2 hours of music I have ever witnessed in my
life. I'm torn by saying this but it is true. I could not sleep last
night - because my "soul was touched".



I now know why there referred to EC as *** back in the day...



My favorite song of the night was, "TALES OF BRAVE ULYSSES" -- and if
folks want I'll post a review of tonight and tomorrow - as I am hitting
all 3 nights...



Thanks for reading, sorry so long.



Setlist below --- 10-24-05 MSG



I'M SO GLAD
SPOONFUL
OUTSIDE WOMAN BLUES
PRESSED RAT & WARTHOG
SLEEPY TIME
TALES OF BRAVE ULYSSES
N.S.U.
BADGE
PLOITICIAN
SWEET WINE
ROLLIN' & TUMBLIN'
STORMY MONDAY
DESSERTED CITIES OF THE HEART
BORN UNDER A BAD SIGN
WE'RE GONE WRONG
CROSSROADS
SITTIN' ON TOP OF THE WORLD
WHITE ROOM
TOAD
SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE





Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home