Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Power of the Past....

As a young child I liked to write letters to sports hero's and government officials.

Why?

I'm not sure, but from Gerald Ford, to Rod Carew...I was writing short letters to people that made a difference, TO ME.

Rarely did I get a response.

One of my highlights, was a note back from President Carter's Undersecretary of State, Hodding Carter - on his personal stationary, about a issue I was concerned about. I was 12 years old..

Another was from my Senator Bill Bradlee of NJ, handwritten on his letterhead.

These made a difference, and made a huge impression on me.

Never did I think any one of my letter's made an impression on any of the recievors.

In 1976, Jesse Owen's was getting recognition, 40 years AFTER his amazing feat in the 1936 Olympics - in Munich.

Watching Jesse Owens was simply amazing.... the old footage of his victory...a black man, in NAZI Germany.


An African American Athlete goes into Munich 1936 Olympics, Nazi Germany - in front of Hitler, and WINS gold --a sports story of unrivaled accomplishement.

So, in 1977...I wrote him a letter...

I got a call from a "high up Ohio State" educator. They were doing a big expose on one of their most famous graduates, Jesse Owens. Jesse was a real HERO, in every sense of the word. The "Jesse Owens Story" was being shown on campus, his gold medals, his prized possessions...

The Ohio State lady, told me, that one of Jesse Owens most prized possessions was, my note to him in 1977. It's in the case, under glass, next to the medals. THIS.

Click here to READ my note.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply amazing. This is one of those stories that almost seems fake...until you see the letter. Glad you decided to share this.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Rob Deichert Jr said...

Agreed, this is amazing.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing story, but that is the gayest fricking stationary I've ever seen.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but he has matured:

http://www.flagline.com/images/lpg/GD(bears).JPG

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home