Saturday, June 03, 2006

8 Sundays In the Fall......

8 Sunday's from Labor Day through Christmas, you can find me in ONE place.

The Giant's stadium parking lot.

It's not a "regular" parking lot. It's a special place.

We are NEW YORK JETS season ticket holders.

Typically, our day starts at 8:30-9:00 am when we arrive at 12C.
Our group has grown over the past 20 years, from probably a handful of people, to anywhere from 20-40.

Steady attendees.

Made some friends, share laughs, but, most of all it is a GREAT release from life.

My job is the MUSIC. If you attend our outing, you can expect to hear Grateful Dead show's ranging from 1968 to 1977. Steve Kimock, and The Rolling Stones.

That's about the extent of the "musical offering."

We have people that have migrated to our area to get MORE of the tasty music - coming from our hallowed ground at 12C.

"Hey man, I've been here for years, and just wanted to come over and thank you for playing these DEAD shows every Sunday. We park over there because of YOU."

Makes me feel good.

The food, the people, the vibe is all so great and wonderful. I can honestly tell you, it is the one place that reminds me of going to a, "relaxed atmosphere" - and dare I say - "Blissful few hours?"

All for a football game?

It's FAR MORE than a game. It's a chance 8 times a year, to spend time doing what I love to do. Spend time outside, with friends, eating good food, and listening to LOUD soundboards of my favorite band, The Grateful Dead.

However, yesterday a realization came to me.

One of the main reasons the past 11 years have been so great has been because ONE PLAYER on the NY Jets....has a tremendous heart.

Wayne Chrebet.

Wayne was the GO TO GUY on 3rd down for the past 11 seasons.

Wayne Chrebet retired from football yesterday.

Frequently, I would find myself focused on Wayne - watching this improbable - 5ft 10 180 pound walk on, out of Hofstra -- run his routes.

Watch him, get double teamed -- and still come up with the catch.

Wayne Chrebet helped make our Sunday's in the fall more enjoyable.

Wayne Chrebet has heart, soul, and determination.

I NEVER thought I'd write this, but here goes:

"Rich Kotite, thanks for seeing something no one else saw 11 years ago, from this young, overachiever -- who was small in size - BUT HUGE IN HEART."

Wayne Chrebet, thanks for making 8 Sunday's every fall, more fun, and enjoyable.

You will be missed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Doodles said...

Love football season....... we are dolphins season tix holders... and I hear the Jets chant quite often... no its not a nice one :) I will hear that chant once again on christmas day this year. A chant we long to hear every year... GO FINS!!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Doodles,

Thanks for the comment...

The last few years, I have attended a few Dolphins Home Games - at "ProPlayer" or Dolphin Stadium...(whichever it is called)

I must admit, I have had a good time at the tailgates in the Stadium parking lot.

Specifically, parking on the grassy area...

A welcome relief on a Sunday morning in the sunshine, cooking, tunes -- a few chilly ones, and BAREFOOT.

Love that.

Andy

8:30 AM  
Blogger Doodles said...

If your in town for any of the games this year def let me know. I won't make you wear a dolphin jersey as long as you don't wear a jets jersey lol ..... ticket on me ...

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no! not again...... 11C

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home